There’s a lot more than spring flowers blooming at The Market Common in Myrtle Beach. So are the fun events on the April social calendar, beginning and ending with arts-and-crafts festivals hosted by the Seacoast Artists Guild. These events provide perfect April bookends for Bay View on the Boardwalk guests to spend a day soaking up the local arts scene.
Featuring a full month of events ranging from sidewalk sales and film festivals to fun runs and dragon boat races, The Market Common comes alive with activity in April. The spring calendar opens with the 14th Annual Seacoast Artists Guild Member Show and Sale, which runs from April 3 to April 18, and the month of April ends with the Fourth Annual Spring Art in Common festival, held April 29-30. In between, there are numerous events appealing to a broad range of tastes, but art lovers are the biggest winners.
Offering two weeks of events at the Seacoast Artists Gallery on Nevers Street in The Market Common, the popular Member Show and Sale highlights the works of local artists and craftsmen who belong to the organization dedicated to supporting and preserving the arts. Scheduled events include an awards show to honor local artists, as well as meet-and-greet opportunities where the public can pick up some unique pieces while also talking to the artists about their sources of inspiration.
The Seacoast Artists Guild Member Show and Sale displays a wide variety of media both inside the store and on the sidewalk, including paintings, photography and three-dimensional creations. Other displays feature local artists in action with live wood carving, glassblowing and other craft-creation activities. The April 21-23 Small Is BIG Sale offers great deals on small (less than 1 foot by 1 foot), paintings, photographs and prints — just the right size to pack for the trip back home.
While the Member Show and Sale is a big draw, you may want to stick around or make the return trip for the main event at the end of the month, the April 29-30 Spring Art in Common Festival. Held Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Valor Park, this two-day event features dozens of local artists and craftsmen displaying their wares to the public and putting on live demonstrations of their skills. Guests can talk to the artists and learn more about their works while shopping for one-of-a-kind items to add to their collections.
In addition to hosting arts and crafts community events, The Market Common is also home to a long list of April events for visitors of all tastes. Here’s a look at some of the family-fun activities coming to The Market Common in April:
* April 7-8, YesYouCAN Film Festival: See the world from the unique perspective of people living with autism during this celebration at the Grand 14 Cinema. Aspiring filmmakers tell the inspiring stories of those who overcome huge obstacles.
* April 8, Walk MS: Join hundreds of participants to raise funds and awareness for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Offering 1- and 3-mile courses, the race ends with live music, fun and games in Grand Park.
* April 19-22, Myrtle Beach International Film Festival: Now in its 12th year, this annual event was recently named to MovieMaker Magazine’s Top 25 Film Festivals list and continues to attract talented filmmakers to the Grand Strand.
* April 22, Relay For Life: Hit the road with hundreds of fellow runners for a day of exercise and fun at Grand Park. The race day concludes with food, music, entertainment and a special visit from superheroes for the kids.
* April 29, Dragon Boat Festival: Relax on the banks of the lake at Grand Park and cheer on the dozens of colorfully decorated dragon boats. Watch teams battle with the paddle in glorified canoes to raise funds and awareness for Ground Zero.
Book your Myrtle Beach vacation at Bay View on the Boardwalk for April, and get ready for a month of fun at The Market Common. For more information, visit www.marketcommonmb.com.